Ghost Hunting at Penrhyn Old Hall will leave you running for the door if you allow its history to unnerve you. The Old Hall has such a chequered past that it wouldn’t be hard to understand why!
Your ghost hunt at Penrhyn Old Hall will see you exploring all areas of the building made available to us, where you will be able to experience glass divination, table tipping and a group human pendulum experiment. Plus, for those comfortable enough – Ouija boards will also be on hand for you to use – all to aid your communication with the dead. Also, you will have a whole host of the most up-to-date ghost hunting gadgets to use whilst you carry out your ghost hunt. Taking part in spirit call-outs and wait to see what happens in the silence that follows. Haunted Houses likes to work in small teams to give you the very best experience possible. For the very brave lone vigils (ghost hunting in a room all alone) are very popular and plenty of opportunities to do so will be given.
A monk is often witnessed, slowly gliding through the room above the Baronial Hall, along a passage before disappearing into thin air! Will you be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to bump into him?
Once living here was the Pugh family. So strong was the Pugh family’s Catholic faith that one of the daughters met a grisly end for it. This poor young girl not much more than a teenager was slaughtered by her own flesh and blood. What heinous crime did this poor soul commit warranting to be murdered by her Sisters? She simply fell in love with a protestant boy, so with an act of love planned to elope and marry him. This act alone caused her death at the hands of her loved ones. This marriage could not happen, and it needed to be stopped!
It is said this poor soul, murdered for simply loving the wrong person still haunts the stairway. Is she looking for her lover or vengeance for her untimely demise.
Other Sights of Spirits and Ghosts at Penryhyn Old Hall, include an ill-tempered young man who shows disdain at being disturbed, will he make his presence known to you on your ghost hunt and tell you to clear off? You may also encounter a male spirit who looks like he is dressed to go to war, frustrated by an injury keeping him away from the action. What actions could he take to alert you to his presence?
Plas Penrhyn as it was known in the 16th century, was mostly a stone Tudor Mansion which is thought to of been built on the site of a royal palace, which itself was built in the 8th Century. What could still haunt the land from this by-gone age? It is often said the land carries the haunting long after the building itself has vanished!
During the 16th Century, Penrhyn Old Hall was owned by the Pugh Family, sympathisers of Catholicism who sheltered Catholic priest when Protestantism was the law of the land and sole permitted religion. Secret Clandestine services were held at the chapel outside and during times of capture and execution of catholic monks, they could take shelter in the fireplace in a priest hole, within Penrhyn Old Hall.
Robert Pugh and a local Catholic priest called William Davies fled for their lives on being discovered to the Little Orme in Llandudno. While living in a cave there, they smuggled in a printing press and published Wales’ first book. They evaded capture again when their hideaway was discovered in 1587 but were arrested in 1592 at Holyhead. Robert Pugh escaped but William Davies was convicted of being a Catholic priest and hanged, drawn and quartered in Beaumaris. Much later, a withered hand – possibly cut from Davies’ body – was found in a hidden case at Penrhyn Old Hall.
The quickest and easiest way to book is through our online booking system. Select a date from the list below and click book now to begin the booking process. We always want our customers to be able to experience the ghost hunt that’s right for them. Due to the limited capacity of popular and smaller venues, we always advise booking well in advance to avoid dissapointment.
Alternatively bookings can be made via our enquiries and bookings hotline. Call 01782 951747 to book your place today.
Haunted Houses Events will not permit anybody to attend the event if found to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. No refunds will be given. By booking this event you understand all terms and conditions.
By making this booking you do so with the intention of attending. All deposits and full balances are non-refundable or transferable in the event of your cancellation. It is your duty to get to the event on the booked date. Haunted houses pay the venue for your places in advance so are still liable to pay for your place once you have cancelled.
Please read the full Haunted Houses terms and conditions before making any booking.
Cancellations or amandments to bookings
- If the customer cancels the entire booking at any stage from point of sale, or fails to turn up on the event then the entire booking fee will be retained and is non-tranferable.
- If the customer reduces the number of persons attending the event, then the corresponding booking fees will be retained.
- All booking fees are non-refundable, unless where an event is cancelled/postponed see clause 14
Booking Fees, Deposits & Remaining Balances
- Places can be reserved on most Haunted Houses events via payment of the required deposit fee.
- Deposits can vary in value according to the event and details of deposits fees can be found on each individual event page.
- All deposit fees are non-refundable.
- Deposit fees alone do not confirm a customer’s place on an event, they are merely holding fees.
- Remaining balances must generally be paid one month prior to the event, unless otherwise stated on the event page, failure to pay on time may result in places being cancelled without any refund being offered.
- Full payment of the booking fee must be received prior to any event taking place, unless otherwise agreed in writing by Haunted Houses.
- Places will only be fully confirmed on receipt of full and final payment of the required total booking fee, either via payment of a remaining balance or full outright purchase.